White-Knuckle Offroad Sliders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000UZJ

Where's My Hammer?
Threads
Updated Review (2/25/14)

White Knuckle Sliders.
A low priced, DOM tubing, 100 Series slider. I called John and inquired about a picture I saw in a magazine. Not knowing him, and knowing he deals with many other vehicles. I automatically assumed John was going to tell me his sliders are the best and I should buy them so he can answer the next phone call. I was wrong, John and I chatted for quite some time. He went over pretty much everything about the sliders, why he positioned the sliders legs, supports, etc. I told him what I needed and the wheeling it would see. He was quite confident his slider would hold up against my abuse. Not knowing anything about White Knuckle, or John...I gave him my credit card numbers. We hang up and a week later they show up at my door. I did not powder coat mine, so John applied a oil to the slider so it wouldn't flash rust. A quick coat of paint and some busted knuckles they were on.

After 4 years on my truck, I have wheeled many hard trails. Some my truck probably should never of been on. In the time these sliders have been installed, I have chewed through 3 sets of tires, 5 steering racks, and a few body panels. The White Knuckles are pretty much the only thing that looks good on my truck. I can't say enough about them. The overhang on the slider is great for pivoting on rocks, trees, or accidentally hitting a concrete pole in a garage. If your front tires slip and you head into a tree, you're covered. The White Knuckles stick out 1/4" the door moulding, the widest part of the door. That also makes it very functional for everyday use. They offer a great step into the truck. If you have elders or small children you need to help them in. They have great clearance, and a smooth transition from rock>no rock. The whole purpose of a slider is the "slide" part. They slide on and off rocks very smoothly. So dropping off a sledge without having to build rev's is great. Nothing like a slider hang up and having to gas it off a ledge. The rear kick out is nice, it's saved me a few times. I can't find a single flaw about the overall performance, they do what a slider is supposed to do. They are indestructible, affordable, and look very nice on the 100. With every product we purchase, there are many flaws. Everything I have on my truck simply pops, squeaks, and rattles. So it's not perfect, and neither are the sliders. Although serving 95% of the 100 Series drivers perfectly. It lacks with the other 5%, the few that like to see how far they can push their rigs, the few that shrug off a dent, or blown bead. The "bypass" is for watchers, you didn't drive 8 hours to watch.

If you get these on a tight trail, you will discover a few things. The body sits right on top of the slider. I can't fit a pencil between the body/slider. I don't have body damage from the slider, I do have paint damage from rocks and debris constantly packing between the two. It produces a loud knock going over bumps. The front outer rail is 1.5" too short, making it very easy to crunch your lower fender if you are trying to crawl around something at full lock (all sliders fail to protect this area). The rock will go right between the tire into the unprotected fender lip. The rear kick out is large enough to consume a small human. It's a black hole for women's feet. I can stick my entire leg through it.

If you wheel a 100 Series. Sliders are the cheapest thing you can add to protect your doors. I must admit, most of the body damage was on trails where damage was likely. 99% of those situations are avoidable.

My sliders are excellent. I raise a :beer: at John for making these for us.
IMG_0841.jpg
IMG_0861.jpg
IMG_0872.jpg

Last edited:
I will throw in my $0.02 also owning a set of White Knuckle Off Road sliders.

As Nick mentioned, John offers two flavors, bare steal and semi-gloss black powder coat. Retail price for bare steal is $540, add $100 if you want powder coated. I opted for the powder coated version, and it's held up well. However just like my powder coated wheels, it will need some rattle can touch up soon enough. So it's up to you if you want to save the $100 initially.

The White Knuckle design was a key decision for me, I really like two aspects of these sliders. First the large rectangle piece that makes up the main structure of the slider provides a nice wide flat surface to "slide on". The other thing that was huge for me is the kick out, or bump out, in the rear. I personally seen this make a huge difference while on the trail if you encounter a lot of low rocks, trees, or tree stumps. It helps push out the rear of the vehicle in an effort to save the rear quarter panel from damage. Also in tight trail corners it gives your vehicle something to help pivot around on. I've heard some people complain that these "stick out" too far. Well personally I prefer that aspect of them, it means more contact with an object before hitting my sheet metal. Having them tucked up close to the body works great for underneath protection only, but falls short of side protection.

Install was a breeze, and is identical to every other bolt-on slider on the market so I won't go into details there. The instructions John includes are good, and include pictures for illustration. Only feedback I had was they didn't talk about moving the brake lines off the frame rail before installing the u-bolts. Make sure you check those, don't want to crush the brake lines.

I experienced the same fast service that Nick did. Placed a order and they were hand built, powder coated, and on their way to me within a week.

Nick's idea of putting some non-slip on the sliders is a great idea! I almost gave myself a hernia when my muddy boots slipped on the muddy sliders getting into the LC when out wheelin.

ADL_2871.jpg

ADL_2872.jpg

ADL_2874.jpg

ADL_2877.jpg

ADL_2878.jpg

P.S. All that shine you see on my LC is gone now....it's trail pin stripped to hell now!

Last edited:
I have to say I really like the looks of these. I like the approach angle and love the kick out at the tail. Would love to see a pick of someone standing on these to see how much toe hang you get for stepping up on them. This may be my first major mod to our truck. ;)

Nick, what type of Canon did you get? We have a 40D that I love! Now to get the 70-200 L lens! :grinpimp:

I have to say I really like the looks of these. I like the approach angle and love the kick out at the tail. Would love to see a pick of someone standing on these to see how much toe hang you get for stepping up on them. This may be my first major mod to our truck. ;)

Nick, what type of Canon did you get? We have a 40D that I love! Now to get the 70-200 L lens! :grinpimp:

Just picked up the new Canon Rebel T1i and it's awesome. I really love this thing, my first "real" camera and I can't believe how well it captures color and lighting. I thought my point and shoot was cool. I took a picture (with my old camera) of my foot on the kickout and standing on the slider incase anybody asked. However, the battery is dead, I can post them tomorrow when I get them uploaded on the mac.

Looking forward to the pic. Want to still be able to use the sliders as a step to get to stuff way up in the middle of the car top carrier, when camping.

Love our Canon... is way more than we need, but always wanted a true digital SLR and WOW did we get it. The 40D will do 6.5 frames per second and have caught the mud coming off the truck as I navigated up a slippery slope, catching each little sloppy bit. Had so many, we could have made a moving picture!

Looking forward to the pic. Want to still be able to use the sliders as a step to get to stuff way up in the middle of the car top carrier, when camping.

Love our Canon... is way more than we need, but always wanted a true digital SLR and WOW did we get it. The 40D will do 6.5 frames per second and have caught the mud coming off the truck as I navigated up a slippery slope, catching each little sloppy bit. Had so many, we could have made a moving picture!

I have those from another members camera of me going through water, I too could make a little movie... That trip and his pictures made me want a SLR camera. I'll post the pictures when I get home after class, these sliders are built really well, I can't get over how large the main rail is. Slee's is more vertical whereas the WK ones are more of a angled horizontal main rail, which is nice. Like Anthony said, gives you a nice area to "slide" on.

Want to still be able to use the sliders as a step to get to stuff way up in the middle of the car top carrier, when camping.

I can take a pic tomorrow if Nick doesn't. Short story minus pic, these work great as a step too. My GF was non too happy when I took off the running boards. However she is perfectly happy using these sliders as a step to get in/out.

The rear kick out is also really handy when you crawl in the back through the rear doors. When you back out the door you can easily catch the slider with your foot and pop out. Love it!

My wife has already stated similar reservations. She understands why I want to protection, but likes the looks and ease of the OEM step. I am thinking that the anti-skid tape is critical too. Will want to look at coating the whole interior of those surfaces to try and give the max protection against sliding off and also look like it was a part of the original design.

Very nice guys!

Jonathan

Well I can tell you the slider step is now approx 4-6 inches higher then the stock running board. So it's not as easy of a step-up then before.

Just all depends on how picky your :princess: is. Mine is making do, but then again I didn't give her much of a choice. :D

Here are the pictures you asked for, second picture is the kickout on the back.
DSC02998.jpg
DSC02989.jpg
DSC02990.jpg

Those look very nice. Low profile enough that they don't look silly. Stick out enough that they give good protection.

Well I can tell you the slider step is now approx 4-6 inches higher then the stock running board. So it's not as easy of a step-up then before.

Just all depends on how picky your :princess: is. Mine is making do, but then again I didn't give her much of a choice. :D

The 4-6 inch gain is exactly what I am looking for. As for the :princess:, she is 5'9" and has longer legs than I do, so I think she will be able to live with the "stretch". LOL!

As for the pictures, I was wondering about when you step up does you toe have a tendency to get caught as has been stated on the Slee product?:hmm:

Thanks much for answering all of the questions. I really like what I have seen so far!

Jonathan

As for the pictures, I was wondering about when you step up does you toe have a tendency to get caught as has been stated on the Slee product?

I've never owned Slee sliders, but I could see that being a issue on how tight they tuck up next to the body. I've yet to catch a toe getting into the LC, and neither has my GF.

Have not seen either product up close but it was something that caught my attention when reading other posts.

Thanks Anthony!

Jonathan

Grip tape is great for getting in. not so great for when you get out and slide the back of your leg down the slider in shorts. Ow.

Didn't need that skin anyway!:p

I had non skid tape on my budbuilts on FJC and worked fantastic except when I (or wife) would forget and jump out and get a big strawberry down back of calve or ruin her stockings....LOL. It is fairly SELF CORRECTING (over time)...

On my Slee Sliders I left tape off...both FJ60 and LX470. Still use as step but no issues with toes getting caught...maybe you guys have little girls feet!? LOL

testing them... real good. I can say they do support the weight of the 100 slamming down sideways and moving forward at a pretty good pace. Definitely a well built slider. Video to come showing my stupidity of backing into 3 trees within 2 minutes and smoking all 4 tires trying to get up ledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom