Stranded for the first time (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 LX470

Well it finally happened, a Lexus has stranded me, sure I have had problems in the past, but I have never been left on the side of the road (OK I was in a parking lot)...100 miles from the dealer...Thank Goodness for AAA Plus I highly recommend it.

Anyway after waiting nearly 3 hours and driving in the cab of a tow truck for 100 miles on the nose I was deposited at the dealer. It turns out it's the throttle body or something associated and of course they don't have it in stock, but I did get a loaner and it is covered under warrantee, but what a pain, and with all the other misery Toyota is facing it does wear on my confidence a bit. They told me this is not a common problem, what do you guys think? it gave no indication just went into limp mode when I started it up.

Hmmmm. Something in the air. I think my LX's TPS took a crap today but I was able to limp mine home. Post their findings when you hear back from them if you don't mind.

FWIW: I carry a spare TPS and APPS sensor with me in my tool kit (primarily for remote, off-road fix). They're relatively easy to swap if needed. Much better solution if you're out stuck in the boonies than paying for a tow ;) or bribing a buddy to bring you the parts!

most of the time if your TPS or APPS goes out all you have to do is slam the hood and it will work again....mine would go out when it was cold, but it only stranded me for the most 10 minutes

The APPS will usually respond to a shut down, sit (30 seconds to a few minutes) ,restart but sometimes not.

I'm torn between keeping my old intermittently troublesome (every 10k or so) APPS as an on-board spare or subjecting it to destructive analysis.

They told me this is not a common problem, what do you guys think? it gave no indication just went into limp mode when I started it up.

If it's an APPS or TPS problem then that's not true. I'd say APPS failure is the most common serious problem known to the 100 series.

Ask for the error codes and let us know what parts they replace.

If it's an APPS or TPS problem then that's not true. I'd say APPS failure is the most common serious problem known to the 100 series.

Well, Toyota is officially claiming it is not common. I disputed my second APPS failure and that was the official line from Toyota back through the dealer rep.

Honestly, now that the truck is on it's third APPS, I am always wondering when it will fail too. I consider it to be the major weakness in this this otherwise solid vehicle (aside from the rear view mirror mount, and now the antenna that my wife broke for the third time yesterday:mad: - the 4R has all window mount antenna, why can't the LC?).

In order to get Toyota to notice, it is important that everybody register concerns with the corporation when this part fails, otherwise they are not paying attention. Right now with the accelerator problems in other models, this is a significant concern to the company. The APPS is an integral component of what is failing in the other vehicles.

I had the service manager spec out a replacement system, using the newer technologies, but it was pretty cost prohibitive, including a new ECU and many other parts.

I'd say not common, but not uncommon. You should sticky a poll and see how many people on the board have replaced the TPS. I'm on my second unit.

2004 LX470

Well it finally happened, a Lexus has stranded me, sure I have had problems in the past, but I have never been left on the side of the road (OK I was in a parking lot)...100 miles from the dealer...Thank Goodness for AAA Plus I highly recommend it.

Anyway after waiting nearly 3 hours and driving in the cab of a tow truck for 100 miles on the nose I was deposited at the dealer. It turns out it's the throttle body or something associated and of course they don't have it in stock, but I did get a loaner and it is covered under warrantee, but what a pain, and with all the other misery Toyota is facing it does wear on my confidence a bit. They told me this is not a common problem, what do you guys think? it gave no indication just went into limp mode when I started it up.

I'd say not common, but not uncommon.

I'd say if you are challenging my assertion then you should generate the facts to prove the truth of the matter. ;)

You should sticky a poll and see how many people on the board have replaced the TPS. I'm on my second unit.

So you are saying not common but you've replaced the one on your truck ? :hmm:

... if you create the APPS/TPS poll I'll create a master thread for the FAQ with it and all the previous 100 series polls in it so we can drive participation in all of them. :cheers:

It's apparently not prevalent enough to force a recall, but you're right genius...I'm just stating an opinion.....thus the suggestion for a poll.

I'd say if you are challenging my assertion then you should generate the facts to prove the truth of the matter. ;)

So you are saying not common but you've replaced the one on your truck ? :hmm:

... if you create the APPS/TPS poll I'll create a master thread for the FAQ with it and all the previous 100 series polls in it so we can drive participation in all of them. :cheers:

update

They replaced the throttle body with no change, it turned out to be a corroded wire which toyota is fighting about covering under the warranty and I am looking down the barrel of 9 hours labor

They replaced the throttle body with no change, it turned out to be a corroded wire which toyota is fighting about covering under the warranty and I am looking down the barrel of 9 hours labor

Why ? Did you carry acid under the hood leading to the corrosion ?

The service dept misdiagnosed the problem, replaced the throttle body, issue was still there and they found the corroded wire ?

Sounds like one for the service dept to suck up.

Where are the nine hours ? Replacing the TB is an easy job ?

Where are the nine hours ? Replacing the TB is an easy job ?

3 lunch breaks, 34 smoke breaks, 9 breaks to get some coffee, 4 to tie shoe laces, and 6 to play some table tenis :grinpimp:

oh forgot the call they have to make to you regarding that one bolt that is missing from the mudflap and its 34.99 but they can it to you from the dealer down the street for half price and instal it for free.

detailed update

labor & parts

110lez02 driveability. Hours: 8.50 tech(s):3098

check engine and vsc lights on car wont accelerate
p2118 code for throttle accuator inop code. Installed new part.
accelerator now operates but wont go more then 2000 rpm.
called tech assist they said check voltage at ecu. 7.2 volts present.
needs battery voltage. High restance in ects wire.
removed throttle accuator and installed orig.
need to diagnose why high resistance in circuit.
removed dash pad assy and associated components to access
connectors ig1 ( behind aic box assy) and ig3 ( behind inst cluster).
also removed fuse block assy in engine area to get access to engine wire #2.
found high resistance in entire run of circuit. Installed new wire.
voltage as specified, reinstalled all parts. Short caused throttle
accelerator to not operate due to lack of voltage. Reinstalled new
throttle accuator again and vehicle is operating normal with no codes
in history or current. Reinstalled all parts during diagnostics.
test drove good.

I was on a trip and about 1200 miles away from home when my LX started the TPS APPS dance where it would not respond well to the gas peddle and then the trans would downshift and the engine would go up to 4-5K rpms before it would gain enough speed to shift again and smoothout. I drove it that way for about 150 miles and then stopped for gas. When I started up after the gas stop everything was back to normal and it was normal for the next several days. Got home called the deal and they said codes would be gone by now and if it happened again drive over to the dealership and they would take care of it. I think it was either the TPS or the APPS. I have the platium 7 year 100K bumper to bumper Lexus warranty so any fix will be on them and the way the LX acted I won't be stranded just a pain in the butt to have to deal with. Do you guys agree that it was the TPS/APPS and if so will it comeback soon or is this just a hickup?

Do you guys agree that it was the TPS/APPS and if so will it comeback soon or is this just a hickup?

Probably the APPS.

I wouldn't do anything unless it shows up again.

I had about 6 instances of the APPS error in 90k of ownership. All were fixed with a restart. Unfortunately three of them were with my father-in-law driving my truck. I just replaced the APPS so I won't have to hear from him about it again.

Unfortunately my cars are conspiring against me. Yesterday I got a P1121 code from my Camry. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom