Antenna install questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I have searched and read some other threads on this, but can anyone confirm for sure that the teeth on the plastic geared inner piece should face forward on a 2000? Also, is there any kind of spring loaded device that "grabs" the antenna? I just can't seem to get it to grab. Mine wasn't retracting, so I took it off and massaged it a bit so that it moves easier, now I can't get it back in. I'm about 99.9% positive that the entire geared piece came out- I.E. I shouldn't need to mess with the motor at all. It should just thread right in. So, what's my problem??? Thanks for being kind with the replies :doh: Dan.

I seem to remember the teeth forward, but cannot confirm. One tip I got was to push the line in fairly firmly with the radio ON, then have someone turn the radio OFF. mine was pulled right in.

Teeth forward on mine, but I want to say the FSM say rearwards. Anyway, I did both until it hooked up and sucked in. Be warned, when it grabs, it really goes. If you were able to remove it without pressing the antenna up button to push the mast out, then it's likely broken.

I pushed the up button all the way until it stopped, then I had to give it a little tug to get it out. The end appears slightly tapered and not jagged at all. I don't think it's broken. According to one thread I read, Pint said the FSM showed teeth rearward, which he tried, then he tried them forward and it worked right away. Maybe I'll try it with the radio on, then turn it off. I've been doing it with the radio on, and just having the :princess: push the down button. Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

Teeth forward on mine, but I want to say the FSM say rearwards. Anyway, I did both until it hooked up and sucked in. Be warned, when it grabs, it really goes. If you were able to remove it without pressing the antenna up button to push the mast out, then it's likely broken.
This;)

Not knowing better, I faced the teeth toward the rear of the trucklet & screwd around for 10 mins. with no success...faced the teeth forward, sucked it in fast. FSM is dead wrong.

Try taking the curve shape out of the first foot of gear material.

The antenna motor can be taken apart...there's a thread in the Electronics section. It does involve yanking the antenna, which in turn involves pulling the inner fender panel as well as some dash trim removal.

Steve

No need to dig into the dash to get the antenna motor out, it comes out the fender well. But, that does involve pulling the fender plastic, which also involves breaking a dozen plastic tabs. I'm on my third antenna, 1st one broke off halfway and I had to dig the pieces out of the motor. Second one the geared plastic pulled out of the metal mast a couple months after being replaced.

wannabe, sounds like your antenna is intact. When you shut the truck off with the radio on you should hear the motor run, retracting the antenna. It runs for 10-15 seconds without the antenna in there. If you don't hear it running, there's your problem. If it is, compress the antenna mast so you've got the most amount of the geared plastic available and jam it in there. Have someone turn the truck off with the radio on and hold on.

Trunk, there's a plug behind the kick panel trim on the ps that needs to be disconnected/reconected. When replacing the whole motor unit. I found that out while installing the snorkel

Ah, I didn't pull the motor all the way out, just let in hang in the fender well to pull out the broken mast. I saw that the antenna lead disconnects at the motor, but didn't dink with the wiring. My bad, interior trim too.

The manual antenna is nice, I can leave it up even while I'm listening to my ipod/sat radio/cd's. That way I know when I'm going to hit going into garages. I've since decided to keep it down 24/7 since I know I'll hit in every parking garage.

Try taking the curve shape out of the first foot of gear material.

I think this may be what I need to do. Any suggestions on how? Also, any pics/diagrams on what the assembly looks like relative to the hole? I.E. is it possible that the curve in the geared piece is so great that it's not going where it's supposed to be? I can't see shiz when I look down the hole. I'm going to try it again a little later tonight. Thanks for all the suggestions, Dan.

Just got through with replacing the antenna mast on my 2002 LC and I'd have to say the instruction and advice provided in this thread made the job as easy as pie :)

Upon taking out the old antenna mast, it turns out the white plastic drive line was broken, so a new antenna mast assembly was in order. I found one on Ebay for $30 from "bridgewood_motorsports" and it arrived in a few days. I won't repeat what's already been said in this thread, but I will add the following:
  • The teeth in the white plastic drive line should face forward. No question there.
  • It helps to have someone turn the radio off while you hold the assembly steady, but I used the old antenna extended as a wand to reach through the passenger window and press on the power knob. Worked like a charm.
  • After the motor initially grabs the drive line, put the crown screw back on tightly before going up and down the with antenna.
  • The old broken drive line is probably still in the motor, so getting the new antenna to fully withdraw took a few tries. Some have said removing it from the motor is a must, but I was able to get by without digging it out. Just keep going up and down until the antenna fully goes down.
It seems the broken antenna mast is a common problem among 100 owners. Any chance of making this thread sticky or linking to it from the sticky FAQ thread, Moderators?

:cheers:

has anyone found a way to just put a solid antenna back on instead? Mine broke off and the motor just runs and runs - unplugged in glove box. was then able to pull the entire mast out - would rather just screw a standard antenna back on and leave the motor unplugged - is this an option?
thanks!

Does anyone have any pictures of the mast? Mine broke and I can't tell how much of the plastic bits are left in the motor.

I have to figure something out with the body shop on Tuesday... while there was no impact on the front fender directly, it is hard to believe that the antenna suddenly deciding to fail after ten years is just a coincidence.

Top, Not plugged back in? They probably pulled the fender, and disconnected it to pull it off. If the white teeth are broken you can pull apart the motor with a few screws.

Brock, I've got a manual collapsing 100 mast, no motor:)

How about a hidden antenna?

I am having a similar problem with my antenna recently. It works when it feels like it. I was wondering if anyone out there has try a hidden antenna which can be mounted on the windscreen. Here is a link to an ebay ad which I am thinking about getting. what do you guys think? would this be an option? I don't like the look of an antenna sticking out, it looks old fashion.

DUAL AMPLIFIED AM/FM Car Antenna Interior Glass Mount - eBay (item 150561837902 end time Feb-14-11 07:30:46 PST)

Top, Not plugged back in? They probably pulled the fender, and disconnected it to pull it off. If the white teeth are broken you can pull apart the motor with a few screws.

Brock, I've got a manual collapsing 100 mast, no motor:)

The motor is running fine, but it looks like the plastic gears have broken off the mast... just wasn't sure how much plastic had broken off and fallen into the motor.

I was wondering if anyone out there has try a hidden antenna which can be mounted on the windscreen. Here is a link to an ebay ad which I am thinking about getting. what do you guys think? would this be an option? I don't like the look of an antenna sticking out, it looks old fashion.

DUAL AMPLIFIED AM/FM Car Antenna Interior Glass Mount - eBay (item 150561837902 end time Feb-14-11 07:30:46 PST)
An antenna sticking out will always be better. In fact, the higher above the ground plane you get, the stronger the radio signal.

That ad tho', looks OK. Skimming through the text, it looks like they know what they are talking about. But, in any case, it will be better with a mast that extends above the vehicle. If you have a diversity radio, with two receivers, and put one antenna like that on each side of the vehicle, it might give you a working set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom