New Problem! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So this has happened a few timees in the past month or so....

At a stop sign I will get on the gas from a stop and the 100 will die. It also happens when I get on the gas from a stop and have to stop for a car that was in a blind spot. If you try and crank it back over it wont. I have to wait 10 or 15 min before it will crank over and run good again. I can crank it over and put the gas pedal to the floor and it will stay reving unless i take my foot off and it will die again. Even if i do get it going again it will not really move unless my foot is to the floor. Anyone have any idea what this could be??? Gonna try and barrow my buddies code reader later this evening but would really like to figure out this problem as soon as possible!

Thanks

So this has happened a few timees in the past month or so....

At a stop sign I will get on the gas from a stop and the 100 will die. It also happens when I get on the gas from a stop and have to stop for a car that was in a blind spot. If you try and crank it back over it wont. I have to wait 10 or 15 min before it will crank over and run good again. I can crank it over and put the gas pedal to the floor and it will stay reving unless i take my foot off and it will die again. Even if i do get it going again it will not really move unless my foot is to the floor. Anyone have any idea what this could be??? Gonna try and barrow my buddies code reader later this evening but would really like to figure out this problem as soon as possible!

Thanks

Well it sounds like the APPS or TPS I forget which one displays this symptom (searchable however ;)). But its strange your 'check engine light' isn't on/throw a code.

Does it go into limp mode at all? Im going to guess the APPS too. Seems like more 98/99s have a problem with that.

Im going to guess the APPS too. Seems like more 98/99s have a problem with that.

I agree it sounds like the APPS. - APPS FAQ Thread

Toyota seems to have made numerous changes to the APPS/TPS and throttle body over time.

Thanks you guys. I did replaces my TPS around 6 months ago for sorta the same symptoms but a little different.

Oh and forgot to mention this will happen when the engine is cold/ warm and it IS throwing a "check engine light"

No not that kind of limp! The limp mode is when the accelerator has little to no input to the throttle.

ha. oh ya. it def has that.

The dieing factor has to do with the APPS also??

It sounds like you may not have a Scan Gauge II. This might be an opportune time to add one to your dash! Although I originally used my Scan Gauge II for code reading I now have it mounted ahead of the shifter on the center console and rely on it for accurate temps, voltage, etc.

The code, as you know, will tell you whether its the TPS or the APPS.

"Limp" it into a local auto parts store and get a free code read before you dump money in the APPS. This could also be a clogged fuel filter, or cruddy injectors, or bad fuel pump, etc.

Limp mode is very obvious - if you can start it and rev, you are not in limp mode. In limp mode you would get a response of a few miles per hour to safely get off the road, but no real accelerator response.

Good luck.

Can we please call it "limp home" mode, and not just "limp" mode? Two totally different things... ;)

Spresso: That sounds awesome! How difficult was it to install??

It better not me my TPS because like i said i just replaced that recently. I have a feeling that it is more of a problem dealing with EdsCruisin ideas, but what do I know. It is not always in limp mode. LIke right now it is running perfect. (well semi) Going to get the codes read right now.... Ill let you guys know what the deal is.

Thanks for the help

Spresso: That sounds awesome! How difficult was it to install??

It better not me my TPS because like i said i just replaced that recently. I have a feeling that it is more of a problem dealing with EdsCruisin ideas, but what do I know. It is not always in limp mode. LIke right now it is running perfect. (well semi) Going to get the codes read right now.... Ill let you guys know what the deal is.

Thanks for the help

1/10th :banana:: The OBDII port is just under the lower DS dash panel: Plug the Scan Gauge connector in. Then route the wire under the center console area; velcro the Scan Gauge to the center console area (to the right of the ash tray). Select what data fields you want displayed on the first screen of the Scan Gauge.

1/10th :banana:: The OBDII port is just under the lower DS dash panel: Plug the Scan Gauge connector in. Then route the wire under the center console area; velcro the Scan Gauge to the center console area (to the right of the ash tray). Select what data fields you want displayed on the first screen of the Scan Gauge.

Awesome! Ya, I should have read up on it before i posted! Read about it right after I posted. Does this give you the fluid temps by just plugging into it like you said? or is there more wiriing required for that???

Thanks!

My scangauge shows quite a bit of stuff. The xgauge is pretty cool. Shows you hp readings and throttle position, intake temp, pressure, maf readings and all that junk.

Absolutley useless for fuel consumption. Shows 1.8mpg respectfully leaving a stop light and 6.8 cruising at 55. Otherwise I love it!

I have a lucky lc and never throw codes... Knock on wood

Awesome! Ya, I should have read up on it before i posted! Read about it right after I posted. Does this give you the fluid temps by just plugging into it like you said? or is there more wiriing required for that???

Thanks!

It gives you all the info, including intake air temp at the MAF, coolant temp, from the ECU/OBDII port. I have e-mailed Scan Gauge to see if they've been able to get the code figured out from Toyota to be able to supply transmission temp through the SGII.

My scangauge shows quite a bit of stuff. The xgauge is pretty cool. Shows you hp readings and throttle position, intake temp, pressure, maf readings and all that junk.

Absolutley useless for fuel consumption. Shows 1.8mpg respectfully leaving a stop light and 6.8 cruising at 55. Otherwise I love it!

I have a lucky lc and never throw codes... Knock on wood

Its because you dont drive it hard enough! :flipoff2:

But thanks, these sound really usefull. I need to get a code reader anyway, why not spend a little more and get a little more.

FYI: The folks at Scan Gauge got back to me. They are working on getting transmission temp as a feature for their SGII but they're not there yet. No ETA other than "they're working on it". Some hope anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom