Transmission shifter locked in Park: quick fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
Thought I'd summarize some stuff learned the hard way.

Symptom: Locked transmission shifter in Park. Can't move it out of Park even with key on and pedal brake pushed in. ABS and VSC lights on on instrument cluster.

Additional Check: see if the brake lights are off when brake pedal is pushed in.

Analysis: If brake lights are not working at all, the likely problem is an interruption in the brake light circuit which causes the shifter to be locked in Park (you can still drive by overriding the lock with the switch on the console). This could be due to:
- bad brake light bulb
- bad high brake light LED strip
- bad brake pedal switch
- short in brake light circuit wiring
- brake light fuse bad

Check/Fix in preferred order:
- check fuse for bad fuse (LHS footwell).
- check all 4 brake light bulbs in rear for a bad one
- check brake pedal switch (see below)
- check continuity of LED light strip. (FSM shows 2 connectors that could be used, 1 in LHS rear 1/4 panel and 1 in rear gate. May also be one immediately next to the LED strip but would likely need to remove strip for that.
- check wiring and harnesses, especially where the harness is exposed between body and tailgate etc.

Major time saver on Brake pedal switch check and replacement:

First it took me a while to try to remove the connector off the switch. Tried various pliers and tools, finally managed to do it by hand. Smaller hand would help for that.
Then I must have tried for over half an hour to remove the switch by unscrewing the counternut on its stem while in place. That on my back, neck twisted under dash, door sill digging in my hip, with a mirror and flashlight. Despite disconnecting a bunch of harnesses to make room, I finally gave up. My wrench would simply not fit on there.
Then I tried to check the continuity of the switch terminals in situ with alligator clamps. Pretty hard to do, again upside down with mirror etc. Lots of uncertainty as to test. Gave up on that as unrealiable.
By then I was close to 2 hours into the switch. Back and neck hurting bad. Fleeting thoughts of going to the dealer starting to look more appealing every minute.

Finally, after all that time trying to do this with finesse, I decide to try the brute force way, namely to take the whole pedal assembly off. Closer examination revealed that the brake pedal itself need only to be removed from the pivot point, leaving the connection with the master cylinder intact. Takes all of 30 seconds to drop the brake pedal partly (1 bolt. Use locktite when putting back on.) At that point the bracket supporting the switch is held only by 2 obvious bolts and can be slid off from the pedal bracket after the 2 bolts are unscrewed. You then have the switch and bracket in hand. Total time necessary: 2 minutes. Compare that to the 1 or 2 hours wasted on trying to remove the switch directly while still in position. Sheesh.... Shows again that sometimes the apparent "lots of work / remove it all" approach may be much faster than the simple direct but awkward approach...

Simple continuity test on switch (see FSM) will then tell you if switch is good or not.

HTH!

Last edited:
replaced it. Took all of 1 minute to take the bracket out and 1 minute to put the whole thing back in. All working fine now. $75 for the part locally, though....

Mine just locked out and it was the fuse by your left foot called STOP - not the one that is called TAIL! I love IH8MUD!!!!

yes, it's the brake light circuit that activates the lock up.

But if your fuse blew, you should try to figure out why. These things blow when they do their job, i.e. protect the circuit when something else goes wrong that is potentially damaging/dangerous.

Thanks for the forum help getting my 98 LC "locked in park" mode straightened out.. After hours on my own it was the "Stop" fuse and the manual wil never point you there.
Kp

Any hope of getting some pictures?
I'm having this exact same problem. The brakes are fine, fuses all look good, but I'm too new to the system to know my way around by words. Light came on after some heavier than normal braking coming back into town, but other than that very normal driving conditions. No real off-roading or hard use yet.

Thanks in advance...
Cheers,
Aaron

Hi, I just had a similar problem on my 1999 land cruiser. This post help me identify the problem. After I check the fuses it was obvious that brake switch was the problem since brake lights would not come on when pressing the brake.
Removal was a challenge but initial post hints helped a lot.
Thanks
Harry

IMG_9101.jpg
Just got my third light replaced with aftermarket one (lasted about 5 min) ... and all my STOP tail lights went off. Evidently the “new” third light was a piece of s***! (very hot when touched) ...
Couldn’t shift from PARK, VSC and ABS lights were ON too ... and before I found the burned-out STOP 15A fuse (in left footwell) I got really, really pissed off !!! ... what the heck !!!

Replaced the blown fuse, and back to normal now. Fail safe feature that is not in the user manual ... thank you Toyota :-(

Last edited:

Symptom: Locked transmission shifter in Park. Can't move it out of Park even with key on and pedal brake pushed in. ABS and VSC lights on on instrument cluster.

Additional Check: see if the brake lights are off when brake pedal is pushed in.

Analysis: If brake lights are not working at all, the likely problem is an interruption in the brake light circuit which causes the shifter to be locked in Park (you can still drive by overriding the lock with the switch on the console). This could be due to:
- bad brake light bulb
- bad brake pedal switch
- brake light fuse bad

- check continuity of LED light strip. (FSM shows 2 connectors that could be used, 1 in LHS rear 1/4 panel and 1 in rear gate. May also be one immediately next to the LED strip but would likely need to remove strip for that.
- check wiring and harnesses, especially where the harness is exposed between body and tailgate etc.

First it took me a while to try to remove the connector off the switch. Tried various pliers and tools, finally managed to do it by hand. Smaller hand would help for that.
Then I must have tried for over half an hour to remove the switch by unscrewing the counternut on its stem while in place. That on my back, neck twisted under dash, door sill digging in my hip, with a mirror and flashlight. Despite disconnecting a bunch of harnesses to make room, I finally gave up. My wrench would simply not fit on there.
Then I tried to check the continuity of the switch terminals in situ with alligator clamps. Pretty hard to do, again upside down with mirror etc. Lots of uncertainty as to test. Gave up on that as unrealiable.
By then I was close to 2 hours into the switch. Back and neck hurting bad. Fleeting thoughts of going to the dealer starting to look more appealing every minute.

Finally, after all that time trying to do this with finesse, I decide to try the brute force way, namely to take the whole pedal assembly off. Closer examination revealed that the brake pedal itself need only to be removed from the pivot point, leaving the connection with the master cylinder intact. Takes all of 30 seconds to drop the brake pedal partly (1 bolt. Use locktite when putting back on.) At that point the bracket supporting the switch is held only by 2 obvious bolts and can be slid off from the pedal bracket after the 2 bolts are unscrewed. You then have the switch and bracket in hand. Total time necessary: 2 minutes. Compare that to the 1 or 2 hours wasted on trying to remove the switch directly while still in position. Sheesh.... Shows again that sometimes the apparent "lots of work / remove it all" approach may be much faster than the simple direct but awkward approach...

Simple continuity test on switch (see FSM) will then tell you if switch is good or not.

HTH!

Hi

- bad brake light bulb
- bad brake pedal switch
- brake light fuse bad

HTH!

Hi e9999, I know this thread is quite old but it’s quite a good information on the brake light switch replacement procedure.

I’ve search on brake pedal removal to get some info
on how to and couldn’t find any.

Do you have any pictures on which bolt to loosen
for that brake pedal for I can replace that brake
switch.

2003 LX470

Thanks in advance

Jeez! My 2001 100 series Land Cruiser with 160,000 miles kept sticking in park and sometimes while driving ABSVSC track and VSC track off light would come on finally it just stayed in park and had to use the override to get it out of park. But then I had no brakes lights.
Did the diagnostic check and all fuses ok. Needed a brake light switch at the pedal. It is hard to reach and I was pressed for time. My mechanic has a bent wrench to access it and had a new switch replace in 15 minutes and $145 later.

all good now!

Hi e9999, I know this thread is quite old but it’s quite a good information on the brake light switch replacement procedure.

I’ve search on brake pedal removal to get some info
on how to and couldn’t find any.

Do you have any pictures on which bolt to loosen
for that brake pedal for I can replace that brake
switch.

2003 LX470

Thanks in advance

sorry, don't have any pics but I imagine it's pretty easy to see while under there.

Also realize this is an old thread but found it in a Google Search.

Having thew same issue with my recently purchased FJ Cruiser. All four of the ABS, VSC OFF, VSC TRAC, TRACTION warning lights came on during the ride home from purchasing. The next day, we couldn't get it out of Park after starting the motor. Found the Shifter manual unlock button and used it.

Assume it is the Brake Light Switch... Does the brake pedal removal as depicted above work on the FJC too?

^
^
Sorry, I don't know about either question. Somebody will.

It turned out I just had to replace a bulb in the rear light. Really odd it could a fuse to short out, but now it works fine.
LUCKY DOG...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom