Rear hatch lock actuator repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I found THIS thread started by Socalsuv on the repair of the door lock actuator back in September. Thanks to UZJ100 for the link to EBay I ordered 5 replacement motors for ~$10 shipped. Normally the actuator are said to be $330 each. The motors are what goes bad or makes the operation slow and intermittent so this deal is as good as it gets. The link above covers the door replacement very well so Im posting the replacement for the rear hatch actuator motor.

This is a 1 :banana: repair and it took me as long to get my stuff together as to do the repair.
1. Use a screwdriver and lightly pry out the side plastic trim of the hatch so the lower plastic can be removed.
2. Use a small screwdriver and remove the plugs to access the screws for the handle.
3. Use a #3 philips screwdriver and remove the handle screws(2)
4. Remove the handle cup
5. Using your hands pry up on the lower plastic trim and get your finger under the plastic and pop the plastic plug clips.
6. Using a #2 philips screwdriver remove the screws to that holds the actuator to the bracket. You cannot get a screwdriver on the 3rd screw so I used my lineman pliers to remove it.
7. Using your small screwdriver release the plug from the actuator.
8. Using your other flat screwdriver carefully pry apart the actuator. This may require to to attack it from a couple different places.
9. Once you have it apart unplug the motor and slide the worm gear off the motor and install on the new motor and plug the new motor in.
10. I used several drops of super glue to attach the actuator case back together.
11. Using a reverse order put it all back together.

A simple and cheap solution for a pain in the ass problem.
IMG_0549 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0543 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0544 (Medium).JPG

Thanks Phil, hope I never need it, but nice writeup.

Nice job! Glad to see those motors also work on the rear hatch. I assumed they wouldn't use different spec'd motors on different doors, but now we know for sure.

Thanks so much for your post.

I am getting tired of unlocking the hatch by crawling into the back and manually unlocking it.

I ordered 4 new motors because they were sold in a four pack. I'm sure others will be going bad eventually. It's great to have a few spares around.

Thanks so much for your post.

I am getting tired of unlocking the hatch by crawling into the back and manually unlocking it.

I ordered 4 new motors because they were sold in a four pack. I'm sure others will be going bad eventually. It's great to have a few spares around.

There is no need to buy a 4-pack. Buy as few or as many as you want from jonharis. Probably cheaper than what you paid on eBay too!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...a-lexus-door-lock-actuator-group-buy-new.html

There is no need to buy a 4-pack. Buy as few or as many as you want from jonharis. Probably cheaper than what you paid on eBay too!
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series...a-lexus-door-lock-actuator-group-buy-new.html

Thanks for the heads-up! Unfortunately I had already ordered the motors. The cost was $6.61 a piece shipped from mopselectric. I wish I had know about Jonharis before I ordered. I will pay a bit more to help move product and/or to help people that participate on this board.

Cheers :)

Did my hatch actuator today. ITV took me about 30 minutes from start to finish.

Be sure to push up on the bezel. There is a tab on the lock holding the bezel in place so it will not just pop out. I hope this is what you are talking about.
IMG_2588.JPG
IMG_2589.JPG

Hi, guys. I was able to complete this repair this evening. Took me about 1 hour to do it.

The hardest part is to unscrew the third screw. Rather than use pliers, which I couldn't get to work, my tip is to go to Home Depot and by their offset philips screwdriver from Husky for $4.97. I wasted a good bit of the total time just getting that screw off. When I replaced it, I just hand tightened it rather than go through it again.

My 2000 had the brass collar. The Mabuchi motors from ebay (in my case, from mopselectric) worked fine. It took me all of 5 minutes to crack the actuator using a flat head screw driver and then super glue it back together. Hopefully, it will work for a good while.

Working on this project now. Disassembled the actuator to determine which motor I need for my 2005 LC100, and its a d-shaft with no collar.

Question for those who have done this: What is the trick to pulling the plug from the actuator? I tried and failed to get it unplugged before I gave up and pried the casing apart while plugged in. I tried using a screwdriver to pry it out as recommended by @LandCruiserPhil above, but started to crack the housing.

Is there a release that I have overlooked?

Working on this project now. Disassembled the actuator to determine which motor I need for my 2005 LC100, and its a d-shaft with no collar.

Question for those who have done this: What is the trick to pulling the plug from the actuator? I tried and failed to get it unplugged before I gave up and pried the casing apart while plugged in. I tried using a screwdriver to pry it out as recommended by @LandCruiserPhil above, but started to crack the housing.

Is there a release that I have overlooked?
I did this a couple of weeks ago on my 1998. I did not use a screwdriver, but there was just a latch release that I pushed with my hand and I was able to wiggle it out.

Just to be clear, are the black plastic housings that have the motors inside the same for all door locations? I bought the entire lock assembly for the driver's door. The rear hatch is my problem now. I am hoping to repurpose the black piece from the driver's door.

IMG_20200527_191804.jpg
IMG_20200527_191808.jpg
IMG_20200527_192540.jpg

Negative... side specific
Drivers side will only do driver, drivers rear (LEFT)... RIGHT Passenger does front, rear RIGHT AND hatch.

Motors will be the same throughout all those doors though if you are replacing just the motor (disassembling the body and extracting actual motor and replacing).

Also note that motor type changed somewhere in the lineup. Review the Door Lock Actuator master thread for which (one comes with a brass collar installed on the armature shaft and one is a simple D shaft.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom