Creaking steering column / wheel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I have a slight creak coming from the steering column / wheel. It seems to be worse when it is cold outside and much less noticeable when it's warm. It only creaks when I turn the wheel.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there an easy fix? I have not taken it to the dealer yet.

Thanks.

Mine does the same thing. I actually had forgotten about that since it seems like it's been a year since I last heard it... weird.

Mine does the same thing. I actually had forgotten about that since it seems like it's been a year since I last heard it... weird.

Mine does it sometimes. Drives me freaking crazy! I took the plastic cover off, tried to spray some dry lube in there, no better! Any ideas would be great. :hmm:

My 62 did it and my 100 does it, albeit not as noticeably... I've always thought it was an LC feature whose purpose I was incapable of comprehending.

It's likely the clock spring that allows turning contact between the electronics in the wheel and the column. My 80 did it when it was cold. Some people have reported the spraying it with lube worked, but you've got to be careful hosing down that area with lubricant (airbag). Friend of mine's got bad enough that he replaced the spring and harness, was about $250 on the 80.

i found out the "squeak" does not come from the steering wheel. If you follow the steering column down you will find a black boot that covers the steering column as it goes through the firewall. I took grease and put it between the circular metal thingy and the cover.....squeak gone....

i found out the "squeak" does not come from the steering wheel. If you follow the steering column down you will find a black boot that covers the steering column as it goes through the firewall. I took grease and put it between the circular metal thingy and the cover.....squeak gone....
Cool, I'll give that a try.

I just tried this. You rock big time if it works! :D

I just crawled under the dash and tried to find something that resembles a bearing or bushing. I did find a few rubber boots that cover the steering column in various places including a big one that is velcroed to the carpet at the base. Just above that is a small, thick, rubber boot. I just ended up putting some grease on the small universal joint where the column turns toward the firewall. It was pretty warm this morning so I am not sure if it worked (creak is worst when cold).

Can you be more specific about the place where you applied the grease? What is the "metal thingy"?

I just crawled under the dash and tried to find something that resembles a bearing or bushing. I did find a few rubber boots that cover the steering column in various places including a big one that is velcroed to the carpet at the base. Just above that is a small, thick, rubber boot. I just ended up putting some grease on the small universal joint where the column turns toward the firewall. It was pretty warm this morning so I am not sure if it worked (creak is worst when cold).

Can you be more specific about the place where you applied the grease? What is the "metal thingy"?
i will take some pictures. But if i am going off memory there is a universal joint and then a black boot looking thing. I ended up putting the grease between them....as i recall. It's been a while, but it went away when i did that...

like i said, i will try and take pics..

Still squeaking!? :hmm: Maybe I need more or different lube?
it took a couple of times of putting grease down there before it fully went away. The last time i just gooped it on.....

your squeak may not be the same as mine was, put your head under the steering column and turn the wheel until you hear it....

btw, i used bearing grease....

Discovered the same problem on my New (to me) 2003 Thunder Cloud LC. It was driving me nuts! Use some lithium grease and my index finger to lubricate under the rubber boot 360 degrees. Amazing how easy it was. Noise gone!!!

Thanks...you saved me time and big money :)

Clock Spring.....$450 to have a dealer do it

On my 60 and my 80 the clock springs were accessible enough that I just put some Silglyde on a q-tip and put it on the metal ring for the clock spring. Squeak gone. Haven't needed on the 100's yet so I don't know how difficult it is to access on these rigs. That's definitely a trademark Cruiser squeak that rears it's head at some point and usually during the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom