Lower Ball Joints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I have a line on lower ball joints for the LC100 so that you don't need to replace the whole lower control arm. I have a couple on order and will post up when they arrive in a couple of weeks. We're talking $62.00 CAN for the ball joint instead of $350.00 from Toyota for the whole arm.

Greg

I was not aware you could just replace the lower ball joints seperately. When the dealer replaced my front axles, they tore the lower ball joints, so I complained and they ended-up replacing the entire lower control arms.

So, I'd say that's good news for those who ever need to end up replacing them!!

Greg,

Yes...please keep us in the loop on this! When I rebuilt/rebooted my lower ball joint with the Toyota OEM boot kit, it appears the lower ball joint could be pressed out. There is a HD circlip that is mounted on the top side of the lower control arm appearing to retain the ball joint itself. However not having a replacement ball joint available to us I did not proceed with trying to press the ball joint out of the lower control arm.

Thanks!
Dan

I was not aware you could just replace the lower ball joints seperately. When the dealer replaced my front axles, they tore the lower ball joints, so I complained and they ended-up replacing the entire lower control arms.

So, I'd say that's good news for those who ever need to end up replacing them!!

If you tear the lower ball joint boot you can reboot them with the Toyota OEM reboot kit...

If you tear the lower ball joint boot you can reboot them with the Toyota OEM reboot kit...

Part number and prices appreciated if possible Spressomon

Last edited:
Thankyou

So I finally received the lower ball joints for the LC100. After many phone calls and much waiting, they arrived today. They are a Spicer 505-1347 and cost me $62.00 CAN each. I will be looking to replace one in the next few days so I'll post how it goes. The parts guy I got them from was surprised that Spicer was making anything for imports and had to ask his rep to locate the part in Toronto as his parts books didn't show that it existed. The last picture is a little tag that was included in the box that may be useful to someone.

Greg

P1000978.jpg

P1000981.jpg

P1000982.jpg

Part number and prices appreciated if possible Spressomon

I think Spressomon's talking about the CV boot kit. I did this on my '86 4runner...about $30 for the kit (both upper & lower boots incl. the grease). The ball joints are a different part. The ones on my '86 (both lower and upper) are greasable via a little hex bolt while the ones on the 100 don't have this bolt.

That 260-1636 is a Napa Chassis number. It shows I have two sets in Seattle, and there is a bunch of sets scattered around the USA

Napa likes to take other brands, rebox them, and mark them up ;) Like their wix filters, are in napa boxes, and marked up. It's all about brand name. HOWEVER, Napa does have a lifetime warranty on all first line chassis parts, which may be why you pay a premium.

I haven't done the install yet. The ball joint is still there and I get a little side to side travel, but i haven't checked lately if it's gotten worse...plus, i just don't have the time to rip it apart yet. When I do, though, you guys will be the first to know.

Greg

You can get Spicer stuff almost anywhere, Autozone, Checker, etc. Just use the part no. on the box. What makes you think you need to replace the ball joint?

Oh, excellent!

They say they are a bit loose. I believe it. My arms have about 70K a hard miles on them.

They also say my 2-yr old and 15K mile 3rd steering rack is the culprit of the popping noise. We are working on a FREE replacement. 15K is unacceptable at any age. Friggin' shxx!

I've never heard of a bad ball joint on a LC, but anything can happen. Guy in my club just had his Taco's lower joint fail and the tire came off, ended up causing quite a bit of damage and totalling the truck. Another friend just had his replaced by the dealersup on the Tundra campaign. I know the front suspension on the Tundra and LC is totally different, but it makes you wonder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom