loss of power! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to the dealer today to get a check donw on my 4.7 V8.

Problem I had was; accelerator was very non-linear. On pressing a little there was a rush of power and then when pedal was mid way, there was suddenly no power, on pressing a little more it became ok.

After spending an hour for them to hook the car up to the diagnostic machine, they came back to tell me they could not find the plug. That it's not where it usually is. Manager told me to come back in a few days so they could spend more time. Got in the car, started it and saw check engine light which eas no there before. Went back inside, service guy said, no worries, drive it like that and we'll check it when you get back. Get back in the car, try to drive off,, no power until the pedal is compltely to the floor. Went back inside. **** service guy says that's the way it was when i vame in. The lying b@$t@rd!

Anyway, they have a look at it and tell me i need a new throttle body- £1,000 (uk pounds) + labour.........

Had a look at the throttle body, when you pull on the accelerator cable, the flap only partyly opens when it should be max

Any suggestions?

I read that 98/99 mdels had a problem with the aps or something. Anyone elaborate on it?

Is there anyway I can reset the ecu. I think it's running in safe mode? again, suggestions?

Stupid dealer thn tells me their diagnostic machine is playing up............

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

pretty sad dealership and they owe you one (you can tell them I said that! :D). In Africa I would understand, or was that in the UK?
this is an LX470 I understand? what year?
the newer ones at least are throttle by wire, not sure about older ones. I haven't looked at that recently, but there must be some electric actuator that would sound like prime suspect... The code would probably narrow it down.

yup, the thread above does address that.

Thanks! had been looking at that a few days ago. Mechanic & manager tell me the spindle in-betweeen is broken- go figure! Then, they tell me I need to buy a complete throttle body..............

Have found a TPS for just shy of £100............. hope this is going to solve it!

You couldn't get a TB from a junker or something? Just looking at it, it doesn't look like it would that big of a deal to swap out...

You couldn't get a TB from a junker or something? Just looking at it, it doesn't look like it would that big of a deal to swap out...

that was gonna be my next step. But, am more & more convinced it's the TPS

that was gonna be my next step. But, am more & more convinced it's the TPS

doesn't the CEL code allow you to identify a TPS problem?

How do I get the code? Like I said above, I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic and they couldn't hook their machine up to the car...........

How do I get the code? Like I said above, I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic and they couldn't hook their machine up to the car...........

well, in the US at least, most post 95 vehicles are OBD2 compliant. Meaning there is a connector under the dash someplace. You can buy a cheapo reader ($40) that will pull diagnostics code from the system when the CEL is on. IIRC the TPS has a specific code that tells you if there is a problem. No idea if overseas (for us) trucks have OBD2... There is also a separate diagnostic plug I believe on some trucks, maybe that's what they tried to use?

Thanks for the tip. Will imvesigate.

This pic was originally posted by Dandon and shows the connector over the gas pedal.
attachment.php

Unfortunately another post indicated that OBD2 was not required in the EC until 2000 so yours may not have it.

so, how then to run diagnostic on pre 2000

Should have the TPS today. Tried starting her but she hesitates and switches off.......... hoping this is part of the same problem.

I found and bought the reader (trusty ebay), now hope it does the job!

Anyone got a pic of a TPS?

oh, and toyota ordering part number?

Think they've sent me the rong one.............

New issues......... replaced the TPS

1) revs are sitting at just over 2000 rpm
2) CEL light still on (should this go off by it's selfif the faulty TPS has been replaced)
3) Car still in "limp" mode. Only moves when the accelerator pedail is between 75% & 100% Is this result of 2)

hopefully, I get the reader tomorrow. Is there a way of switching CEL light off without the tool?

BTW: twit dealer left the plastic cover on the engine unbolted.......... help needed, any good LC mechanics in the Midlands, uk??

IIRC, after you install the TPS, you have to get it "tuned" using a Toyota OBD tool. This is done by monitoring some value on the tool, and rotating the TPS one way or the other. The TPS can move like 15-20%. Also, you may want to clean out the throttle body.

Tried rotating TPS, but at lower throttle position, revs still high.........

Where on throttle bvody? around the "flap"?

The OBD2 reader didn't fit :(

This car's diagnostic plug is under the bonnet............ people, suggestions please?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom