stainless brake hoses (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone install stainless brake hoses on their LC/LX? While installing new rotors/pads this weekend, I noticed the outer sheath of the rear hoses are showing some cracks. No bulging, so I think they are still okay, but I'll probably replace all the hoses w/ braided stainless for weather resistance next time I change the brake fluid (rubber doesn't last long in the dry heat in AZ...this is on a '03). I could only find hoses by Stoptech. Seems Slee and MAF don't sell them for the 100, but offer them on every other LC plus the current 4runner/FJC.

I believe Spressoman has stainless lines...I believe he had to have them made locally..I contacted Slee about them and he emailed back that the 100 series has had a few changes in ends so they probably would not be making them for sale like the other stainless lines they offer...I was thinking of either taking my lines off and taking them to a hose shop or buying some new ones and having them copied at a shop.

I would be interested in some lines if you did follow up and find out about a shop that could make them..

thanks

I believe Spressoman has stainless lines...I believe he had to have them made locally..I contacted Slee about them and he emailed back that the 100 series has had a few changes in ends so they probably would not be making them for sale like the other stainless lines they offer...I was thinking of either taking my lines off and taking them to a hose shop or buying some new ones and having them copied at a shop.

I would be interested in some lines if you did follow up and find out about a shop that could make them..

thanks

The Stoptech website lists the same front/rear hose P/N's for 98-03 LC's. I noticed that for the front calipers on my 03, the line is a soft line all the way to the caliper. There's a ferrule thing about a foot from the caliper where it feeds through the bracket that attaches to the upper A-arm. Rear hoses are also soft lines into the caliper, all use banjo type ends.

The problem is that between that on the rear lines between the LX470 and 100 series there are about 3 different styles and we have not been able to determine when the breaks in part numbers were. So it is really difficult to make a kit to sell.

According to this, the rear hoses are the same for the '98-03 LX as the '98-04 LC.

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/85-858-5500-R

Christo, how did the ones you saw differ? Was one a banjo and another not, or did one have a hard line going into the caliper? Mine are all soft lines going into the calipers, banjo bolt type.

According to this, the rear hoses are the same for the '98-03 LX as the '98-04 LC.

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/85-858-5500-R

Christo, how did the ones you saw differ? Was one a banjo and another not, or did one have a hard line going into the caliper? Mine are all soft lines going into the calipers, banjo bolt type.

I wouldn't call that solid information. What about Toyota part numbers? Any difference between years?

I wouldn't call that solid information. What about Toyota part numbers? Any difference between years?

Not sure. Maybe CDan can tell us. I know the front brake pads have different P/N's for 98-02 and 03-05, but the front Porterfield R4s pads I just installed cover 98-05. They were exactly the same as the '03 OEM ones in terms of size/shape, so that implies that the '98-02 and '03-05 LC pads are exactly the same size. So even though the P/N's are different, it doesn't mean the part is totally different.

Jim,

I have the stoptech SS brake lines f&r (about 2 years old) and they work/fit fine.

I took the OEM brake lines (5) into Reno Clutch and Brake...he made me a set of SS lines with sheaths. I made the center rear a little longer to allow for the lift.

Had them on my cruiser and now have them on my LX. World of difference!
The rears are a little shorter than I would like (snug getting the calipers back on to bolt them in place).

stoptech only sells rear SS lines now, anyone else have a source?

Search under the '03 Landcruiser. You'll see front hoses listed. I presume they will fit the LX. So far, I've been specifying the '03 LC for all my front/rear brake parts (in fact, for all the mechanical parts), including anti-squeal shims, pads, rotors, gaskets, lock washers, etc. with no mis-match issues. It's just the interior stuff and electronics in the LX that differ.

yeah true, but 03 instead of 00...would i run into any problems?

EDIT: Just checked again, 00 they have the SS lines listed for the LC. Thanks

Just as a followup, I finally got my Stoptech stainless hoses (and the one Earls hose I had made from the frame to rear axle since the Stoptech kits only contains 4 hoses) mounted today. Braking w/ the ART rotors and Porterfield pads was great already, but it's even better w/ the SS hoses. I had the local Toyota dealer install them and flush w/ Toyota dot 3 fluid.

FYI, I ordered the Stoptech kits for the '03 LC for the front and '03 LX/LC (same P/N) for the rears from buybrakes.com. Dealer said they had to use two more clips. I checked underneath the rig today. The Earls hose (frame to rear axle) required 2 extra clips to secure it.

Last edited:
Well worth the investment. Would highly recommend this to everyone.

Here are some pics...
hose_rear_left.jpg
hose-frame2rear_axle.jpg
hose-front_right2.jpg

does anyone have a source for the body-rear axle line since the stoptech only sells the four corners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom