Featured 100 - Dieselbigot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sheialh’s 99 100 series

Yep, this is my wife’s truck…honest. Convincing her that she needed any mods at all for her treacherous 4 mile commute down El Dorado Hills Blvd was really not that hard. Not because she’s into the wheeling thing, because she’s not at all….nope, just because she knows it makes me happy and she’s that kind of girl. (We actually sold her POS Mercedes to buy this rig)…ok, that took a little convincing. We started off with a very clean, well-maintained 1-owner rig with 50k on the clock that I bought sight unseen from a guy in LA. The original plan was to just use it as her commute wagon, pick up family at the airport, long trips, that kind of thing.

At first I promised her I’d keep this one bone stock…that lasted exactly 1 week. It seemed to me like those wimpy stock running boards just had to go, they were downright dangerous trying to get in and out of the truck! I could just see them buckling under the stress of her 112lb frame…so a call to Slee and 800 beans later, problem solved. At the same time it also needed tires (well kinda), so I really saw no point in replacing them with the stock size so I might as well upgrade to 33’s…right?
PICT0042.jpg
PICT0045.jpg

Now that those 33’s are on I’m really losing sleep over whatever will happen next time Sheilah hits one of those nasty speed bumps at the mall….like who wants tires rubbing on your fenders at the mall? So I’m thinking, OME suspension is really a must have item here. I went with the standard OME kit with the 863 heavies and Slee’s diff drop to alleviate the CV angles…Done.

So now I have sliders, 33’s & OME susp (no L shocks though, that’s way too extreme). Well this thing is really set up for some mild wheeling & camping now….maybe I should try it out just once?

After the first trip, it really became apparent that a cargo box was a must have item. I hit up a wood working friend of mine & we got together on a Thursday night over a few beers and knocked out a simple storage cabinet. We used ½” Russian ply with biscuits, glue & pin-nails for the main shell and the drawer (no screws were used). For strength we used ¾” RP for the top along with a piece of 1” C channel (which also acts as a strike point for the latch). A 9301 Accuride 500lb drawer slide was used in the drawer making it a breeze to open & shut when fully loaded. I then added 4 cargo tie-downs on top and 4 on the sides (for mounting with turn-buckles at the stock cargo tie points). Some flex form carpet and a little paint on the drawer front topped it all off and helped it match the interior. I later mounted a fridge slide for the 33qt ARB & a hot triple 12v outlet for various electrical gear.
CompletedCabinet1.jpg
CompletedCabinet4.jpg
CompletedCabinet5.jpg

So by now I figure…ok, I’m starting to wheel this thing a little, I really should get some bumpers so I don’t end up scratching the plastic ones (other mall dwellers frown on anything scratched). I started with the TJM T3 up front. After mounting it I noticed it looked funny with no lights in the middle… so I HAD to get a set if IPF lights to fill it in.

Later I decided I hated the cheesy chrome hoop (heard somewhere that “chrome don’t get you home”) so I ripped it off, painted the bumper to match the trim & sliders and added a set of fogs to cover the holes where the chrome used to reside. There, Done.
PICT0152.jpg

The next spring I took it Moab, did a few trails, got a small ding, and chewed the crap out of the rear bumper….well now NOT getting a new rear bumper would be just plain insane! Luke at 4x4Labs had wanted to use my truck for his first 100 series bumper for quite some time…I took it up there, measurements were taken and we were on our way. Once Luke figured out the shell, the rest was a no-brainer. He wanted it to be a modular design like his 80 bumpers (modular in that all the options are bolt-on to the swing-outs). I chose to get all the options (tire carrier, ladder, hi-lift & triple jerry can holder. The results were awesome….the bumper absolutely makes the truck. I wheeled it at Moab this year and really beat the heck out of the bumper on all those ledges and it worked flawlessly…I highly recommend Luke & his work.

Pretty much at this point I’m well on my way to a full-fledged expedition rig so I did a few more things. First was the OA ½ rack on the AO roof rails….much more functional than the OEM POS and just plain cool looking. (Don’t forget to move the rubber strips from underneath the main floor to the top rail or it’ll whistle like crazy…don’t ask how I know this).
PICT0154.jpg
PICT0172.jpg
PICT0160.jpg

For piece of mind in the middle of nowhere, Dual Batteries were added using an Odyssey PC1700 as the main battery with some killer spacers that DMX84 made out of delrin for me (Thx Dean!)….this way you can maintain the OEM tie downs, have a secure mount and keep a clean stock look.

I used the Slee aux battery tray and a new Optima red for the 2nd battery. After much debate, I decided to go with the Power-Gate 82 from Mobi-Arc to charge the aux battery. This is a great little device and very easy to install. I wanted everything to look as clean as possible so I really took my time & made all my wiring looms to look like OEM making sure I had solid watertight connections. I also ran a 6 gang fuse block right beside the battery fed by a 4g wire so I could wire up my 2M Yaesu as close to the battery as possible then added all other accessories to the fuse gang.

Other electrical do-dads were the Yaesu 2M radio, XM receiver (which I mounted in the center console), a Cobra 75WXST CB mount, Lowrance Baja GPS and Georges LED’s all around.
PICT0162.jpg
PICT0163.jpg
PICT0165.jpg

Keeping the seats looking new is a full set of tan SOR seat covers…they fit great, look good are durable as hell.

Last but not least, I have a 24gal Long Range Aux fuel tank sitting in my garage awaiting install….now just to find the time.

The only other thing I can see myself doing on this truck is the ARB front locker upgrade…I just know way too many people who have grenaded the stock open front diffs in these things.

Well that’s it. Isn’t it amazing how “I promise not to do anything to this one honey” never lasts that long?
PICT0156.jpg
PICT0063.jpg
PICT0096.jpg

Very nice!

all I have to say is poor Sheialh! Where is the cookie storage compartment??

all this great buildup reminds me of a song... Brett's favorite

Near, far, whereever you are.....

:flipoff2:
great buildup there!
:cheers:

Looks great! Hopefully sometime soon we can get out on an excursion together!

But that engine bay is WAY TO FREAK'N CLEAN. What...no job but to keep that thing spit shined? ;p

And I agree on the TJM T3 aluminum POS hoop...mine came off about a month ago...major improvement! I knew I did the right thing when the :princess: said she really liked it better on :rolleyes: .

Very very nice mods.......

How much of a lift do you have?

I really like the rear bumper and all that is mounted on it. And yes, everything else you have done to the truck.

Nice build-up, Brett!

i like it...

Looks great! Hopefully sometime soon we can get out on an excursion together!

But that engine bay is WAY TO FREAK'N CLEAN. What...no job but to keep that thing spit shined? ;p

And I agree on the TJM T3 aluminum POS hoop...mine came off about a month ago...major improvement! I knew I did the right thing when the :princess: said she really liked it better on :rolleyes: .

Even my LX :princess: engine bay isn't that clean.

Just installed the ARB Sahara with no chrome on mine, way better looking. Need some lights to cover the holes too.

Wife keeps telling me she likes the way the rear tire carrier bumpers look... I think I'll keep her around a while!! And this is going to be her rig too. I'll have to show her this thread ;)

Sheilah has a nice ride! Nice tires (I should have gotten those) and rack too. Did I say rack?- Anyway, these ROTW threads are gonna cost me some money. Great job. I need to send my wife up the hill and hang out with yours for a day so she can appreciate these mods.

Very nice indeed. I love this new thread idea. Any regrets or do overs not shown here?

I am going to copy your drawer system some day - very well done - I hope to come close to how good yours looks.

The other stuff may take a while - still having difficulties with the running boards with my :princess:

Agian, Great looking 100 :cheers:

did you match the drawer height to the folded middle seat or do you need some spacer when sleeping? I guess I'm destined to do a drawer system too sooner or later...

nice wheels too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom