Programming a Transponder Key for 99 TLC (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased an uncut transponder key for my 99 Land Cruiser ($21.00 as opposed to ~$50.00 from the dealer). The individual that I bought the key from recommended a reputable key cutter cut the key. When researching how to program the key I came up with the following information:

Add Duplicate Key
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition.
3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

Does anyone have any experience with programming a transducer key and if so, are these steps legit? Appreciate any insight/experience with this process.

you weren't given these instructions on April 1st, were you?
:D
E

Not sure if that is the exact sequence, but yes if you do not have the computer it kinda works like that. However you need a master key to start with. If the key that you currently have is the valet key it will not work.

are you sure you got the right key? my keys with built in remote for my 2000 are more like $200 each. Sounds like maybe the key you have is just the key with the chip but no with the remote function.

[quote author=mainecruiser link=board=2;threadid=14533;start=msg136243#msg136243 date=1081565248]
I just purchased an uncut transponder key for my 99 Land Cruiser ($21.00 as opposed to ~$50.00 from the dealer). The individual that I bought the key from recommended a reputable key cutter cut the key. When researching how to program the key I came up with the following information:

Add Duplicate Key
1. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time.
2. Insert existing master key into ignition.
3. Within 15 seconds depress and release accelerator pedal 5 times.
4. Within 20 seconds depress and release the brake pedal 6 times and remove key.
5. Within 10 seconds insert new key into ignition.
6. Within 10 seconds depress and release the accelerator pedal 1 time.
7. After 80 seconds new key is registered and security light goes off.
8. Remove new key and depress and release brake pedal 1 time.

Does anyone have any experience with programming a transducer key and if so, are these steps legit? Appreciate any insight/experience with this process.

[/quote]

that's right, there are 2 different kinds:
- the master one which allows programming of other transponder keys, it goes for $250 or so at the dealers (can get for $100+ on ebay etc)
- the transponder (I think that's what it's called) without the remote functions. It opens the door and starts the truck. It seems like this is a little gizmo without batteries (interesting ain't it?) that receives a signal and reemits it for communication. Those IIRC can be had for $20+ on ebay. You can't reprogram other keys with just the transponder key.
Eric

Great information, thank you.
I purchased the vehicle used and unfortunately it did not come with a master key. So what I am dealing with is a situation where without the master, I will not be able to program the new key (probably should have clarified this before I bought the thing).
I am assuming the dealership has the ability to cut and program one of these valet keys, which at this point seems like the lesser of two evils (either that or suck it up and drop the $250 on the master).
As a side, I have an uncut valet transponder key (will work w/a 99 – 02 LC) on the way. Anyone interested email henj@midmaine.com.
Thanks again for the feedback.

oh, oh!
not to try and scare you but just in case this may be an issue, I've seen it mentioned several times that you can't program a valet key without a master and therefore that if you lose the transponder key(s) you have, you might have to change the ECU in the vehicle at the tune of -you don't want to know... to get the thing started again.
IIRC, I'd definitely go back to the Seller and have a little talk...
E

If you DO NOT HAVE an existing master key YOU MUST replace the engine ECU, PERIOD. THERE IS NO WAY AROUND IT. If you loose the existing valet your rig will only travel with the aid of a tow truck, PERIOD.

The ECU is around 1600 bucks. There is a plain master, the part number ecsapes me at the moment, that a 100 of that vintage will accept without having to buy one of the 250 dollar jobs with the keyless entry buttons on it. BUT YOU STILL NEEED AN ORIGINAL MASTER TO ACCESS THE PROGRAMMING MODE, NO EXCEPTIONS, PERIOD.

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have owned toyotas for ever, but due to an increase in the size of my family, I purchased my first landcruiser friday. It is a 99, loving it so far.

It came with one key, thankfully it is the master. I was wondering, can that ECU thing be taken out? If the truck was still worth $50,000 and I was having it parked by attendants all the time, that system would make sense. But for my situation, it is just a hassle.

hi fox.
welcome to a good place with good people. - well there is ... errr... never mind...-

anyway, seems to me that sure you could take the ECU out. Would be much easier and cheaper than taking the engine out, for similar results as far as driveability...
:D
E

FYI, Toyota has a lost key program in which they will supply a new ecu, you pay the labor to install plus cost of keys, They kinda dont talk about it much ,I will find the publication # and post it .
service and parts opperation communication #2002-06 lost key/immobolizer computer program update dated 4-6-02

mainecruiser:
when I bought my truck I had a similar situation than you and bought an un cut transponder key and have it programed with a very similar secuence as the one you are describing, I do not know if it is exactly the same because it was done by the service advisor at the Toy dealer and I did not get a copy of it.
The good news is the key works.
The transponder does not have anything to do with the remote functions, actually you can have a remote programed in a similar way as the transponder ( diferent secuence though ) if you can get a hold of a remote that has the same FCC code as yours it can be programmed, I have a lexus remote programmed that way.

[quote author=foxcruiser link=board=2;threadid=14533;start=msg137491#msg137491 date=1081781062]
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I have owned toyotas for ever, but due to an increase in the size of my family, I purchased my first landcruiser friday. It is a 99, loving it so far.

It came with one key, thankfully it is the master. I was wondering, can that ECU thing be taken out? If the truck was still worth $50,000 and I was having it parked by attendants all the time, that system would make sense. But for my situation, it is just a hassle.
[/quote]

No the ECU can't be removed as it is also the EFI computer.

As long as you have a registered master you can access the programming mode.

[quote author=fj55-100 link=board=2;threadid=14533;start=msg137527#msg137527 date=1081785099]
FYI, Toyota has a lost key program in which they will supply a new ecu, you pay the labor to install plus cost of keys, They kinda dont talk about it much ,I will find the publication # and post it .
service and parts opperation communication #2002-06 lost key/immobolizer computer program update dated 4-6-02
[/quote]

Correct. If the customer "qualifies" Toyota will comp, on a one time only basis, an engine ECU and the customer is responsible for installation and keys. The request can be originated through totota's CAC (customer assistance center).

I called the dealership this morning and explained my situation (no master key). There is indeed a service bulletin on free replacement of the ECU. Customer is responsible for labor (1 hour) and the price of a new master key (~$100 plain master ~$250 keyless entry system master). I am guessing that Toyota had a few complaints about customers that lost the master key and were on the hook for a $1,600 part. Good to see the stepped up and did the right thing.
Anyway, my local Toyota dealership took care of the entire process. They will install the new ECU and program the new key as soon as the part arrives. Let’s hope I don’t lose the valet in the meantime….
Thanks again for the feedback.
Still, $200.00 seems pretty expensive for a new key, no?

Not for one with all the gizmos on the head like yours has.

I remembered the number for the master that does not have the keyless entry head that will work in yours (although the book does not list it as applicable ;)). It is an 89785-26020 and the suggested list price is $40.24 (blank key).

there are also clones of the full remote key floating around ebay etc at much lower prices, but I did read one complaint about it breaking (as in crack) pretty easily. But then I've seen an OEM one break too...
E

oh, and as an (obvious?) aside... if somebody ever gets their key housing or blade physically damaged, hang on to the chip inside no matter what, eh!
E

Thanks for the info, I think I will get an extra master key programed and stick it away in a safe place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom